[kwlug-disc] pulseaudio

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Oct 19 19:03:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 17:27 -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List
Account) wrote:
> On October 19, 2009 04:40:05 pm Rashkae wrote:
> > Probably a combination of both.  Ubuntu is very aggressive about jumping
> > to the next big thing in their point releases (their non LTS releases)
> > and people riding the Ubuntu update train get all the growing pains.  I
> > still remember the howling when X switched to the no config file
> > auto-detect configuration.  The pulseaudio furor seems to be much the same.

Fedora jumps the same hurdles Ubuntu does, but doesn't seem to get the
same crap. Whether they just do a better job I can't really say; I'm not
a regular Fedora user.

> LTS gets the pain too.  9.04 jumped to KDE4, which was a world of pain.  KDE4
> in 9.10 is very nice.  They just jumped the gun.

An LTS release introduced Pulseaudio as well (in a slightly
misconfigured form). Karmic also doesn't seem to have deployed PA quite
as well as Fedora does. Unfortunate. Lennart Poettering develops on and
with Fedora, so I suppose it is to be expected to work rather well
there.

> Same with the Intel video driver going to EXA before EXA was really ready.
> That was a nasty one.  >:-(

That was an upstream Intel driver thing though. Either you don't support
new cards, or you use their current driver. I can't fault the Intel guys
for dropping XAA and EXA, they were supporting numerous paths on each
card, and it made testing a pain. Ubuntu's 9.04 release just happened to
be released at that point where the intel driver sucked all around. Not
backporting the newer driver was a bit of an issue as well, but that is
a policy they have with all software (for better and for worse).

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca
w: http://chrisirwin.ca