[kwlug-disc] pulseaudio

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Oct 19 18:33:13 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List Account) <
aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:

> On October 19, 2009 04:40:05 pm Rashkae wrote:
> > Probably a combination of both.  Ubuntu is very aggressive about jumping
> > to the next big thing in their point releases (their non LTS releases)
> > and people riding the Ubuntu update train get all the growing pains.  I
> > still remember the howling when X switched to the no config file
> > auto-detect configuration.  The pulseaudio furor seems to be much the
> same.
>
> LTS gets the pain too.  9.04 jumped to KDE4, which was a world of pain.

Minor nit: 9.04 was not an LTS in any of its incarnations.

8.04 is the current LTS, but the Kubuntu variant of 8.04 is not LTS because
they knew they would switch to KDE4.

> KDE4 in 9.10 is very nice.  They just jumped the gun.

I hope so. I am on Kubuntu 9.04 and never liked KDE4. KDE3.5 was just fine.

We will see when Karmic is released.

> Same with the Intel video driver going to EXA before EXA was really ready.
> That was a nasty one.  >:-(
>
> -A.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.