[kwlug-disc] pulseaudio

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Oct 19 14:35:23 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 13:54 -0400, Chris Bruner wrote:
> Looking at slashdot there is an article about pulseaudio, the
> slashdotters seem very negative and I'm wondering if anyone else has had
> any experiences with it.

I really like pulseaudio. A fair amount of the issues have been with bad
deployments (Ubuntu in particular). Unfortunately any time somebody has
an issue, they remove pulseaudio and tell others to do it. It spreads
through word of mouth that sound sucks with pulse. Unfortunate.

> One of the features that looks very interesting to me is individual app
> volume control.

This is a nice feature. Particularly handy if playing a game and doing
voice chat through a separate program. You can adjust the two
applications through separate volume sliders in the mixer.

Another neat feature that I use is redirecting application output. Right
now I'm listening to music out of my stereo via an apple "airtunes"
device. All other sounds come through my laptop speakers, so I don't get
blasted by an email notification.

Personally, I would not use a machine without pulseaudio anymore. To me,
it's the equivalent of losing DRI in X. Sure, you can live.. if you call
that living.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca