[kwlug-disc] DVCS advice needed

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 10 16:13:56 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 12:43:58PM -0400, Adam Glauser wrote:

> It looks like Visual Studio integration isn't really a high priority for
> any of the Open Source DVCSs, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise at
> this point in the adoption cycle for these tools.  I suspect the Windows
> user base isn't all that large for any of the tools yet.

I don't think that Visual Studio integration is going to become a
central focus for any of the projects (if anything, people seem to
focus on Eclipse), but there is activity on the plugin side. You've
probably googled these already, but I found:

http://bazaar-vcs.org/VisualStudioIntegration : Bazaar plugin. Looks
pretty alpha and unmaintained.

http://sharesource.org/project/visualhg/wiki/ : Mercurial plugin.
It appears to be beta but usable.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gitextensions/ : Git plugin. People seem
to like this one, but that could be astroturf.

As far as the Windows userbase being small: I agree, but I would think
that Firefox alone would mean that there is some infrastructure built
up already.

- Paul