[kwlug-disc] DVCS advice needed

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Oct 5 15:51:36 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:48:04AM -0400, Darcy Casselman wrote:
> > I've seen some comments that Git can track code as it moves between files.
> > ?Is this true, and if so, how does this look in practice? ?Can the other
> > DVCSes do this?
>
> I know Bazaar can't.  I'm skeptical about how well git can.
>
> What makes me skeptical is that I want to run something like 'git
> blame' and see the history of that *file* since it was created, no
> matter how many times it was renamed or moved.  I don't see how it can
> do that unless you tell it that that new file in that directory is
> actually that old file in the other directory.

Just for the record, git-blame does do this.  It shows the filename
where that line came from, based on past rename detections.

As for following a function through multiple files as it is refactored,
you'd have to use something like the git pickaxe:

	http://gitfu.wordpress.com/2008/06/03/the-pickaxe-finding-changes-was-never-easier/

- Chris

believed to be clean.