[kwlug-disc] Why does Gnome gets slow over time?

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 4 12:00:09 EDT 2009

While I was searching for something completelly unrelated I came across this blog post that showed how to speed up Gnome by reseting the gnome settings folders

http://dt.in.th/2008-12-12.fasterrrr.html

As I was feeling that Gnome was getting slugish and I haven't customized my desktop too much, I decided to try it.

The result was a way faster and responsive desktop but with the same functionality as before (i.e. everything that was running before is still running now)

The difference is particularly obvious when browsing with Firefox or Epiphany but in general all the applications seem to open faster and be more responsive. Unfortunatelly I do not have benchmarks, just gut feeling, although my kids have also commented on the improvement.

Why would this be? Is it necessary to remove all those folders or is the slugishness related to justa few files and we are killing a fly with a shotgun?

 Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/