[kwlug-disc] mythTV - not paying attention?

Fri Oct 2 12:30:13 EDT 2009

On October 2, 2009 12:00:19 pm Daniel Agar wrote:
> Mythtv will do most of what you want, I'm not sure about the internet
> radio though. Do you have any spare hardware lying around or are you
> looking to build from scratch? If you just need to record and playback
> analog cable and standard dvds even a pentium 3 will do just fine. Do
> you have a price range in mind? Mythbuntu (http://www.mythbuntu.org/)
> is probably the easiest distro for myth setup currently.

Myth does internet radio just fine; in fact that's one of the things I really
enjoy... tune in to a nice relaxing classical, downtempo, chillout or light
jazz station and sit down with a glass of wine with the wife after the kids
are in bed, or tune in to some good bluegrass or country for a big breakfast
on weekend mornings... having a separate receiver and turning off the TV is
*awesome*.

I'm not so sure that Myth does a passable job at internet videos (youtube
etc.) -- I currently torrent and have a half-assed script in writing which
automatically adds the completed torrent to myth's recordings, but it's very
hackish.

-A.