[kwlug-disc] mythTV - not paying attention?

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 12:23:44 EDT 2009

I built my first Myth system a few years ago and it still is running today.
It doesn't do hi-def yet, but here is what I used to do the whole frontend /
backend thing and it cost less than $300.

Small desktop case
P4 Celeron 2.4
512 meg ram
Hauppauge PVR-150 tuner card (Analog Cable + Composite Video and L/R audio)
DVD-ROM
80 gig HDD
nVidia 6200 AGP video card

When I got my tuner card, it came with an MCE infrared remote and USB
infrared receiver.  Myth can pretty much do everything you want, but the
internet radio is a little iffy.

I do agree MythBuntu is a good first time distro.  If you prefer Redhat,
there is also MythDora.

The only issue I still have is with the PVR-150.  When I use the composite
input, I still get this buzzy audio.  There is a fix for it, but it's still
annoying since the bug has been hanging around since 2006.  I am not sure if
it affects the cable input.

You can still find PVR-150's.  I am not sure of how well Myth supports some
of the newer Hauppauge cards out there, I'll let others on the list answer
that.

You will need to fork over $15 / year to schedules direct for the guide
information, FYI.