[kwlug-disc] BD net-capable players?

Thu Nov 26 13:02:28 EST 2009

On November 26, 2009 10:47:18 am john at netdirect.ca wrote:
> I've got a rant about this:

Rant snipped, but I agree 100%.

Ebay has lots of HDCP strippers available; one of these in line with your HDMI
out and your DRM issues are no more, at least until the key for the stripper
is added. I'd be surprised if the HDCP stripper gave up that easily, though.

There are also a few HDMI switches which strip the HDCP out but leave the
unencrypted HDMI. Hackaday had some notes on this a few weeks back.

One of my (numerous) projects is a raw pixel bus to h264 encoder on an FPGA.
Not terribly difficult from a hardware perspective, but the FPGA program would
be fun, which is why I'm looking at it. OpenCores has all the bits I need to
play with, and there are numerous HDMI receiver chips which have their own
HDCP keys. It would be pretty straightforward for anyone who has their own
company to obtain a few of these for their personal use.  :-)

-A.