[kwlug-disc] Linux replacement for Windows Domain Server

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Wed Nov 25 15:23:26 EST 2009

Here's a solution I use for printing in a mixed environment.
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id2633004

You configure all of your printers (local, via windows sharing, ipp,
jetdirect, etc) in cups on your samba server. Then add these printers
to samba (cupsaddsmb) with the cups postscript drivers for Windows. So
when a windows machine tries to access a printer (the first time) it's
sent a generic postscript driver, and all printing is centralized with
cups. Linux machines just need cups browsing enabled and they get
access to printers automagically.