[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu LoCo chapter for the Waterloo region in Ontario

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 18:14:38 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, how is the LoCo different than the regular LUG (aside
>> from being Ubuntu-targeted)?
>
> >From their site, LoCos seem more interested in outreach / marketing to
> potential new users, where LUGs tend to be more self-help to existing
> users.  I'm sure there is more or less overlap depending on the LoCo
> and LUG in question.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams
>
> With the incredible success of Ubuntu around the world, the LoCo
> project is here to help groups of Ubuntu fans and enthusiasts work
> together in regional teams to help advocate, promote, translate,
> develop and otherwise improve Ubuntu. Our worldwide network of LoCo
> teams is providing a strong backbone to our already vast and extensive
> Ubuntu community. Why not go and see the full list of teams!

Yeah, absolutely.  The intention is not to take anything at all away
from the LUG.  KWLUG is a fantastic group and, if anything, I'm hoping
the LoCo will help bring more people into the LUG.

The LoCo chapter will likely focus more on contribution and
participation in Ubuntu and Free Software.  We're already talking
about participating in the next Ubuntu Global Jam in early 2010.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam

But it's all pretty new.  I think we're open to ideas and suggestions.
 But there's absolutely no thought of competing with the LUG here.

Darcy.