[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu LoCo chapter for the Waterloo region in Ontario

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Nov 20 17:53:12 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 10:25 -0500, Ralph Janke wrote:
>> Hi y'all  (I'm in Texas at the UDS atm :D)
>>
>> I have created a team in launchpad for anybody who wants to be part of the
>> local chapter of the Ubuntu LoCo that we are currently starting for the
>> Waterloo region. Please feel free to join if you want to participate.
>
> Out of curiosity, how is the LoCo different than the regular LUG (aside
> from being Ubuntu-targeted)?

>From their site, LoCos seem more interested in outreach / marketing to
potential new users, where LUGs tend to be more self-help to existing
users.  I'm sure there is more or less overlap depending on the LoCo
and LUG in question.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams

With the incredible success of Ubuntu around the world, the LoCo
project is here to help groups of Ubuntu fans and enthusiasts work
together in regional teams to help advocate, promote, translate,
develop and otherwise improve Ubuntu. Our worldwide network of LoCo
teams is providing a strong backbone to our already vast and extensive
Ubuntu community. Why not go and see the full list of teams!