[kwlug-disc] Anyone played with miro? Impressions?

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 16:06:03 EST 2009

--- On Wed, 11/11/09, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> From: unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca>
> Anyone played with miro, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miro_(software), http://www.getmiro.com/?
>
> Impressions, experiences?

I've used it. If I don't use it more is because the day has just so many hours.

Impressions:
- It works
- It's easy to use
- It is in the Ubuntu repositories
- Does a decent disk storage management
- I found a lot of very high quality content (for my taste)
- If you have some favourite internet TV sites, this is a real time saver as your programs will be there when you want to watch them without having to go with the browser and download them when you want to watch them.
- I configured mythTv to look for videos in the folder where miro downloads the files so I can watch them on my TV. (In the current MythTv version I must manually refresh the list for them to appear properly)
- There are some scripts that automate the MythTv integration with the upcoming version of MythTV. (It doesn't work with the current stable version)

All in all is one of those applications that you set and forget.

The only difficult part is really, from all that content what do you really want to download?

All in all a happy client.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices