[kwlug-disc] Topics for future meetings

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 4 19:08:44 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 11:53:46PM -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> Here are some topics that I would be interested in attending.
>

>   * Paul Nijjar's GNU screen (1 hour?). Very useful tool that I have
>   been using for years, yet there is more to learn, and see how
>   others are using its features.

I am sure that I COULD talk for an hour, but I know that I SHOULD not.
My presentation for the release party was intended to be 15 minutes,
and it encompasses most of what I know about Screen (I don't use
hardstatus lines or any of that fancy stuff).

With that in mind, I could be bribed to go in one of two directions
with this:

- We could use the June meeting for a number of quick (30 minute?)
  demo presentations on a number of topics.

- I could rehash my August 2004 presentation on Low Powered Linux into
  a "Desktop Linux for Curmudgeons" presentation, which would include
  a component on Screen.

Given that Chris Frey gave the original presentation on Screen that
got ME using it, maybe he has some ideas.

>   * Chris Frey on some kernel internals (how it allocates CPU, disk,
>   network, memory resources, caveats, tips, hints).

Rob Day might also be able to provide some insights into this.

Also: I vaguely recall that Chris Frey was going to offer a git
presentation (and maybe a wxwindows one) and that Adam was going to
give us a presentation as well. Are those still on the table? If so
should I create presntation topics for them?

- Paul