[kwlug-disc] karmic koala not exactly building up good karma

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Wed Nov 4 10:33:13 EST 2009

The problem is that (most) people don't test upgrading to an alpha or RC
version from their current install.  That detail is left to when the
release version comes out.  By then it is much too late to fix.

In general, it is a soft, fuzzy misconception that one can reliably
upgrade bootloaders, kernels, X and all the rest in place.  If you try
that trick twice a year you will eventually find bad luck.  Why do you
think CentOS point upgrades only change the third or fourth minor of a
package version?

The official Vista -> Win7 upgrade instructions are five pages long.
Step one is download and run the upgrade advisor.  In ubuntu, just push
the button.

I agree with recommending LTS to the non-tech user.  At least upgrade
problems put off to every second year.  And maybe/hopefully the process
will be better tested.