[kwlug-disc] Botched upgrade from Kubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) to 9.10 (Karmic)

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Nov 3 19:51:52 EST 2009

The strange thing here is that my laptop upgraded fine without issues,
except for the wireless driver, which did not work on 9.04 either. So did
the same thing and I was fine.

The other issue was power management and acpi_osi="Linux" did the trick so
far.

This second laptop has a show stopper issue.

> I thought about backing up the home directory and doing a clean install,
> but USB disks are not automatically recognized when I boot with
> init=/bin/bash.

What I did was boot from an older CD (8.04) and then connect a USB disk and
backup the home directory. I will then reinstall and then copy back the home
directory.

As much I want to solve this issue of init-bottom, we can't afford the
downtime.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.