[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu Karmic and power management

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Nov 3 17:44:53 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone found Karmic Koala's power management problematic? My
> notebook started overheating ever since I put Karmic Koala on it. I
> went back to Ubuntu 8.04-LTS and the overheating seems to have
> stopped. Just thought I'd mention this for anyone else thinking of
> upgrading to Karmic Koala.

Now that you mention it, I felt that my left handrest area felt very hot
today.
This is where the hard disk is, I think.

I also noticed that the Guidance Power Manager icon showed the that the
AC adapter is connected although I was on battery only.

This is Kubuntu, not Ubuntu, but perhaps the problem is common.

At the ACPI level, things seem to be working though:

With AC adapter not connected:
# cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          discharging
present rate:            1789 mA
remaining capacity:      4347 mAh
present voltage:         10800 mV

# cat /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/ADP0/state
state:                   off-line

With AC adapter connected:
# cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charged
present rate:            1183 mA
remaining capacity:      4391 mAh
present voltage:         10800 mV
# cat /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/ADP0/state
state:                   on-line

So ACPI does detect what is going on. Perhaps another layer is botched
though.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.