[kwlug-disc] Botched upgrade from Kubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) to 9.10 (Karmic)

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Nov 3 17:33:32 EST 2009

So, I am singing the praises for Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) after I
upgraded on Saturday.

Then, I grab another laptop and try to do the same upgrade that I did on
mine, but reach a dead end.

What happens is that the system never booted fully after the upgrade.

Getting into grub and running safe mode, shows the following messages:

-----------
Begin: Loading essential drivers ...
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ...
Done.
Begin: Mounting root file system ...
Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ...
[   3.710938] PM: Starting manual resume from disk
Done.
[   3.728858] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
[   3.728942] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ...
Done.
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-botton ...
Done.
mount: can't find /home/public in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
-----------

That is it: no login prompt, no command prompt, no GUI. It just hangs there.
No Alt-F1, Alt-F2 prompts either.

Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del reboots the machine successfully, but that is the only
thing I can do.

Going into grub and editing the boot line to add "noresume acpi=off single"
does
not help. It just stops at the same place.

Not sure if the system is hung up on an old hibernated image that has these
things, and getting stuck on something. I say that because it tries to mount
NFS shares that are commented out in /etc/fstab.

How do I make sure that it is a clean boot without attempting to load a
hibernated
image from the swap area?

I am able to change the grub command line to " ... rw init=/bin/bash", and
get a prompt. I connected the ethernet cable, got an IP address, and ran
aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade and made sure there are no pending
updates.

I regenrated the initrd image using update-initramfs -k all -c, and ran
update-grub as well. No go still ...

Searching Google shows that others have reported the same symptom
(/scripts/init-bottom), but normally it was an incomplete upgrade. I
completed the upgrade but still have the same hang.

I thought about backing up the home directory and doing a clean install, but
USB disks are not automatically recognized when I boot with init=/bin/bash.

Any ideas?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.