[kwlug-disc] Logging all output from Apache?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Nov 2 23:29:22 EST 2009

Apart from whether this would be useful or not ...

Seems like a custom reverse proxy can do this.

The idea is to have a "tee" like function in the proxy: it logs the HTML
response to a file AND passes it on to the requesting browser.

So the actual Apache origin server can run on a non standard port, e.g.
8080. The proxy would run on port 80, and just pass the requests back and
forth, with only the loggin added.

Look into existing proxies, e.g. Squid, or even simpler proxies based on
Python, if you don't have a high traffic site.

http://proxies.xhaus.com/python/

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:19 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way to log all output from Apache web server?
>
> I need to create "paper trail", because what went out is more important
> (liability wise) than what came in.  Although there are tons of docs on
> logging
> HTTP request, I haven't come across anything on HTTP response.
>
> --William

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com