[kwlug-disc] OpenX partners with the devil

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Mon Nov 2 16:01:53 EST 2009

Yes, I'm baiting with the title of the email :).  I'm actually excited
about this news:
http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN0143961320091102

Synopsis: OpenX creates open source ad serving software.  They are the
main force in that marketplace, I use it to serve over a million ad
impressions a month across a small network myself.  OpenX has partnered
with Microsoft.  I'm not firm on all the details, but here's what I
think is going on:
- open source project likely got a LOT of cash injected into it.
- I expect they're going to have some way of farming ads from MS
advertisers out across OpenX software users.
- this is in direct competition with Google Adsense.

One of the reasons I'm excited about this is that Google has recently
made some very draconian moves against various businesses in the
advertising arena (banned advertisers with a specific business model
from using Google ads, and then Google moves directly into the market
with the same business model they just banned.). So in addition to a GPL
project getting some big cash. (and deservedly) this partnership is
giving me/us 'choice'.  Choice we've not had, and choice we now need to
help stave off Google's aggresive move into niche markets like mortgage
lead generation.  And for anyone that's ever gone GPL so that they have
choices and freedom, this is pretty much the same thing.

It's also the smartest darn thing I've seen come out of MS in a long
time.  But I'm baiting again :).

g.