[kwlug-disc] Linux and NT unified kernel?

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Fri May 29 16:01:53 EDT 2009

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 05/29/2009 03:55:57 PM:
> Ultimately, it probably will be as useful as you think. Doesn't mean
> there won't be growing pains along the way.
>
> e.g. Your storage adapter ... ultimately, I would hope they would
> redirect the Windows calls to the Linux side. I can see where magic
> will have to be developed though. To, say, redirect a usb device
> driver call to Linux storage if it's a storage media call, etc. And,
> with progress, detect the about to be made USB call is a storage call,
> and avoid the device driver entirely.

I'm thinking that the USB devices can work in a usable way. There is a
patch for Wine that supports loading Windows USB device drivers. It
interfaces with libusb to access the devices. This would allow Windows USB
device drivers to access devices not supported by Linux, like my RF
capable remote control that's configuration software runs fine in Wine,
but isn't effective because it can't access to the remote control.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12