[kwlug-disc] Linux and NT unified kernel?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri May 29 15:55:57 EDT 2009

john at netdirect.ca wrote, On 05/29/2009 2:34 PM:
> kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 05/29/2009 02:16:17 PM:
>> I'm glad that they mention ReactOS -- it was the first thing that I
> thought
>> of when I started reading the article. This isn't something I reallycare
> about
>> :P, but I wish those developers luck (it's certainly interesting from
>> a technical
>> standpoint).
>
> I wonder how device drivers will work. Won't it be an issue if a Windows
> device wants to control the same device as Linux? Will it not be mutually
> exclusive, i.e. if a windows driver is loaded for a device then a Linux
> driver can't be and vice versa?
>
> Do they need to worry about accommodating things like storage adapters if
> it is already accessible through a Linux driver or are there functions of
> the Windows driver needed by the environment?
>
> I'm beginning to think this may not be as useful as I originally thought.

Ultimately, it probably will be as useful as you think. Doesn't mean
there won't be growing pains along the way.

e.g. Your storage adapter ... ultimately, I would hope they would
redirect the Windows calls to the Linux side. I can see where magic
will have to be developed though. To, say, redirect a usb device
driver call to Linux storage if it's a storage media call, etc. And,
with progress, detect the about to be made USB call is a storage call,
and avoid the device driver entirely.