[kwlug-disc] an appealing theme for a weekly blog post?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu May 7 21:17:34 EDT 2009

--- On Thu, 5/7/09, L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com> wrote:

> Congrats!  Sounds very interesting.
>
> Myself, I'd vote for the monitoring and tuning theme.
> Something like a
> guided tour of /proc.
>
> udev is another nice place to visit..

I second the congratulations and this recommendation.

If you are looking to straddle the line between
programmers and users with respect to the kernel, you
might answer some of the following questions:
  - When does it make sense to compile a custom kernel?

  - What kernel options make the most sense when
    compiling a kernel for a particular application?
    Which of the four schedulers do you choose and why?

  - How does the kernel log things? How can you tweak
    the logging to solve particular problems?

  - How and why would you want to incorporate a custom
    patch not in the mainline kernel?

  - What kind of security concerns do you have to
    worry about with respect to the kernel? How do you
    guard yourself against exploits?

Maybe these are inappropriate topics. My thinking was that
they can help people understand the kernel better and move
them towards the developing end of things.

- Paul