[kwlug-disc] P/T student

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Mar 26 22:10:10 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Insurance Squared Inc. <
gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> Just on the off chance that there's someone on the list who's in the New
> Hamburg area with kids in late high school or post secondary; I'm looking
> for a student to do website/internet marketing/search engine optimization
> stuff for me.  Part time, $10/hour, 3 evenings a week in our office (6-8:30)
> in New Hamburg, for the next six months.  Flexible on the times.
>
> I need a technical mini-me; familiarity with linux would be important - not
> that it's a linux position, however they will be using a linux desktop, the
> websites they will be working on will be linux hosted, and some familiarity
> with linux implies tendency towards the technical proficiency that I'm
> really looking for.   (i.e I want to be able to say 'set up a website with a
> wordpress blog, grab a nice theme and drop in these 5 categories, build a
> subdirectory and install wikimedia in it, populate this spreadsheet, upload
> it as input to this script, etc.).  Specific knowledge isn't important as
> I'll train but it would be very nice if command line linux familiarity was
> there.
>
> The work will be a combination of learning internet marketing and SEO and
> dreary work like creating spreadsheets.  I'm looking for someone to get all
> the little unfinished projects off my desk.  No programming or anything like
> that, mostly website and computer work.  Would be of interest to someone
> who's looking to see the inside of an SEO/internet marketing company.
>
> If you've got someone, email me glenn at glenn.ca or give me a call
> 519.279.4648 or drop by the office at 165 peel street (InsureCan) in New
> Hamburg.
>
> I dunno - do kids these days use linux?  Or is only for older folks?

Hello Glenn

My daughter is in grade 11 and has been using Linux as a desktop for about
6+ years now (first on Mandriva, then now on Kubuntu).

She is familiar with Open Office as she has been using that for years for
school work.

She does not know the command line, but willing to learn it. I had some
success with her older sister (now in university) with some online self
study courses in learning shell stuff, so we can use those with Sarah too.

We are in Waterloo though, and it is like a 25 minute commute. She will get
her license in April.

Please forgive me for the next question as a parent: Will there be other
people working in the office on those hours?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.