[kwlug-disc] Netbook+ manu. suggestions?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Mar 14 15:01:56 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 13:06 -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> John - can NetDirect come anywhere close to Canada Computer, Tiger
> Direct, et al, on their IBM laptop pricing?
>
> Can NetDirect recommend models based on recent list threads? Mine
> (below), or Bob's?

disclaimer: I do not speak for John or NetDirect, only for me and I just
heard something *snap*.  Sounded like my brain stem.  So that's cool.

John has just left for vacation so his reply might be delayed by a
couple of weeks.  He's on a yacht with his harem, burning $1,000,000
bills for entertainment[1].  That sort of profligate spending can only
come from YOUR PURCHASE OF A SINGLE NETBOOK at the lowest possible
retail price.

So I urge everyone on this list to ask the other members of this list to
beat the prices of the retail big boxes even though they are Value Added
Resellers, even though they don't normally carry retail stock and even
though they actually love, KWLUG, Linux, Freedom and each and every one
of us.  Because after all, that's worth nothing if they can't beat an
on-line house by a dollar.

In fact, KWLUG members are going to give me my next house and car at a
loss.  I don't even care if you are in real estate or autos.  You all
have to save me money because we're in KWLUG together and you're going
to give me the best deal ever, even if that isn't your business model.
So make sure to be at the next meeting because I'll be selecting my
donors at random.  I may choose a spare kidney or two while I'm at it.
Hey, we're in the LUG....

Best regards,
Richard

[1] I'm kidding.  Royal Canadian Mint only prints up to $1,000 bills

*snap*

Aw, drat, my forebrain is back and thinks this email might be a little
too, er, visceral for the list.

I don't always shop on price and I almost never shop on price first.
Sometimes I shop to support something or someone I believe in.  Like the
FLOSS Fund, sorta.  Sometimes I just put my faith in a person or project
and say, "I'd like a laptop, John" or something.

And then I know that I'm supporting somebody I know, John.  Something I
believe in, a local Linux vendor.  A local business that hires locally,
even at times from the LUG.

I'm not stupid.  I don't expect to beat every other price.  It's a
purchase and an investment.  I don't know what FutureShop's tech support
is like though I have my suspicions, and I sure do know what kind of
support I get on this list.

I can't say that I'm untouched by price concerns.  I've enough
"cheapskate heritage" in me that I temper all this nobility by happily
accepting any offer of a discount.  And I certainly don't go price
comparison shopping.  That way lies madness.