[kwlug-disc] MythTV and OTA ATSC Reception in KW
Andrew Kohlsmith (lists)
aklists at mixdown.ca
Sat Mar 14 12:06:10 EDT 2009
On March 9, 2009 02:13:09 pm Paul Gallaway wrote:
> So what channels do you get? What antenna are you using? Preamps?
> Amplifiers? Or should I just stop complaining, give Rogers $9/month
> for an HD STB (sometimes I feel as though I am the only "PersonalTV"TM
> hold out!!), get a Hauppauge HDPVR and run MythTV SVN.
I have done a bit of testing in the K/W area. There is no ATSC reachable
with "normal" equipment in K/W. I ended up giving my ATSC receiver and a UHF
antenna to my brother to record Rick Mercer in HD. (he is in Whitby, and
picks up 8 or 9 ATSC HD channels).
The setup is as follows:
1) his Myth system records Rick Mercer Tuesday at 8pm and I get a huge (4GB)
2) I transcode it down to a 2Mbps level 4 h.264 MPEG-4 format file, which is
about 450MB. This takes about 8 hours on his slow-as-moles-asses-in-january
3) The script transfers that over shitty-ass DSL to my house (takes several
hours, and more if he's got his DSL line tied up with seeding torrents).
4) I use myth_rebuilddatabase.pl to import the file into my backend.
5) Wednesday or Thursday I get to watch Tuesday's Rick Mercer in HD. :-)
My frontend has an nVidia GPU (GeForce 6150 on an Asus M2NPV-VM) but VDPAU
doesn't support it even though the card can theoretically do it... so fast
motion scenes tend to skip a little due to the CPU not being quite enough to
decode 2Mbps h264 720p.
I'd watch more CBC if I could pick it up locally, but alack and alas, it just
isn't happening yet.
More information about the kwlug-disc