[kwlug-disc] MythTV and OTA ATSC Reception in KW

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 14:13:09 EDT 2009

Raul's post inspired me as there really seems to be quite a few MythTV
users on the list. I'm currently running a frontend/backend system to
record basic cable from Rogers but I'd dump Rogers in a second given
an opportunity to not give money to Rogers (or Bell for that matter).
Anyone using MythTV with ATSC reception in the KW area? Information
from sites such as TVFool.com support that in theory it should be
possible to pick up the Toronto digital stations and maybe the closest
Buffalo stations on a clear day and really pushing the envelope to get
the further Buffalo stations. All assuming you have the right hardware
of course.

So what channels do you get? What antenna are you using? Preamps?
Amplifiers? Or should I just stop complaining, give Rogers $9/month
for an HD STB (sometimes I feel as though I am the only "PersonalTV"TM
hold out!!), get a Hauppauge HDPVR and run MythTV SVN.

I've been keeping an eye on the digitalhome.ca thread which seems to
have the best info for the region but most of the contributors appear
to be in the Cambridge area and I am in Waterloo North. Any additional
info from any KWLUG'ers is appreciated.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=94075&

~pAul.

        all good things. all in good time.