[kwlug-disc] Job offer: J2EE Software Development Manager

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Mar 12 23:23:50 EDT 2009

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 03/12/2009 8:16 PM:
> Here is my view on this matter.

.
.
.
> 3. If local companies that use, create or promote open source want to
> donate to the LUG then it can go to the FLOSS fund, in the absence of a
> legal structure behind the LUG itself. It has to be with no strings
> attached (perhaps a thank you in acknowledgment, and that is it). They
> can't dictate what we do, they can't ask for ad space, ...etc.

This ignores and does not acknowledge, and would cease, donations 'to
the LUG' already made in the past, that weren't made to the FLOSS fund.

I doubt you intended to. I do understand what you're saying. And I
think you're only discussing $ here.

John, on behalf of NetDirect has brought in pizza to at least one K-W
LUG meeting. He has also, I guess in co-ordination and co-operation
with the LUG, contributed to the K-W LUG presence at local computer
(linux?) shows. On behalf of NetDirect. I don't remember whether the
contribution was booth space, booth materials or equipment, or simply
blank CDs upon which the LUG could burn distros for show attendees. In
any case, I'm reasonably certain it wasn't direct $.

John has a history. Many have expressed "well done John" prior to the
above paragraph, for being a constant and valuable contributor and
never even approaching the line into overt business marketing.

I would not want such contributions to cease.

Thank you, by the way, again, John. Regardless of the hat you are /
were wearing at the time - be it personal, enthusiast, or entrepreneur.

And let's not single out only John, thank you all of you for your
contributions, even if only via presentations and to the list,
bringing the expertise gained in your day job to the LUG without overt
marketing of your own businesses or companies. There are too many for
me to remember or list. But I can think of Cedric, Kahlid, Lori,
Andrew (Andrews?). Apologies to those slighted, it's late.

Let alone Richard, or Paul.