[kwlug-disc] Job offer: J2EE Software Development Manager

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Mar 12 09:29:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Richard Weait wrote:

> Hi all,
> This one came in to the KWLUG web site from a head hunter.  It
> appears to be right on target for some of our members.
> Best regards,
> Richard

  ... snip ...

  at the risk of being slightly contrarian, is it really appropriate
to allow the kwlug discussion mailing list to be used as a vehicle for
placement agencies to recruit people?  after all, if a placement is
made as a result, the recruiting agency gets their commission and
kwlug gets ... um, what?

  and, yes, i realize that one possible benefit is that a local linux
person now gets a job, but surely anyone looking for a job is capable
of scanning the online listings themselves.  perhaps taking an overly
harsh view of this, but what i see is a recruiting agency asking LUG
members to do their work for them, reaping the rewards, and giving
nothing back to the LUG.

p.s.  i personally know the recruiter in question.  i've met her, and
she seems like a perfectly decent person.  but that doesn't stop me
from feeling more and more uncomfortable about recruiter(s) using the
LUG to do their work for them.

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.