[kwlug-disc] Netbook+ manu. suggestions?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Mar 9 00:06:15 EDT 2009

L.D. Paniak wrote, On 03/08/2009 9:51 PM:

> Starting with one point:
>
> unsolicited wrote:
>> I am thinking it's time to buy a notebook.
>>
>> I will want ...
>> - to run Debian
>> - to shrink the pre-installed OS and dual boot.
>
> Any reason not to use Windows in a VM?  I find it much more flexible to

I should have said something along the lines of ...

Having accomplished dual booting, I hope to never have to boot windows
again. In fact, I hope to never have to run a Windows app - experience
tells me, however, somewhere, some time, there will be a gotcha.

Should the windows app become more than a very occasional irritant,
yes, I would go ahead and run a vm instead of dual booting. I do that
now, under Windows, to run Linux. (I take a blank disk vmplayer
'machine' and roll my own from there.) I've run multiple ESX servers,
so I have no doubt I'll be able to figure out whatever I have to.

My gut tells me to not just nuke Windows, in case of device driver or
warranty issues. Otherwise it would be gone. Heck, I've no doubt there
would come a time when I just nuke the windows partition entirely.
Just, perhaps, not for a couple of years. This assumes it even comes
with windows - even better if it does not, as then any device or
warranty concerns are just non-issues.

Thanks for the thought - it's a good one.