[kwlug-disc] open source drunk

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Mar 8 19:07:34 EDT 2009

Few possibilities:

1. The word itself has a meaning in its native language, and someone is
using it just for that meaning with no relation to software nor open source.

2. The word has gained enough mainstream media attention that people are
using it for other products. By the way, trademark law allows that.

3. Same as 2, but without even knowing that other products exist.

Dennis Ritchie co-inventor of UNIX, maintains a page about other products
called UNIX.

Years ago when I worked for AT&T in the Middle East, the general manager
called me about a company marketing a pesticide called UNIX and after some
research, I told him there is no action needed, because they are different
products/markets.

I sent this info to Dennis
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/otherunix.html and he quoted me on
that page.