[kwlug-disc] Linux-Format Magazine

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Thu Mar 5 10:37:38 EST 2009

I suspect the underlying issue is with their revenue model and
marketing.  Traditional media models are really struggling these days,
and even more so in the last 6-8 months.  KW Record laid off a bunch of
staff and they're not anywhere near being alone.  The media aren't
trumpetting it too loudly, but it's happening everywhere.

The traditional media model has not transitioned smoothly to the web,
and the economic downturn has exascerbated the problem.  End result is
that these folks have to struggle with keeping some sort of control over
their content; because it's that content that drives their revenue.
Even linux based publications still have to struggle with this, and the
authors and publishers have to put food on the table.   And the last six
months the heat's getting really turned up.

My response to these difficulties is the same as Kevin's in the movie 'A
fish called Wanda' when he found out that his enemy was beaten as a
child - "Good!" :).

Part of the struggle is that the oodles of ad cash isn't being handed
out on the web.  I can advertise in a small trade journal one time only
for say $3000-$4000.  And likely get nothing out of a one time
placement.  Or I can spend a few hundred bucks a month advertising on
some of the highest profile sites in my industry and get measurable
sales from that.  I'm not alone in figuring out those numbers.  I won't
pay $3000 to advertise in trade journals as I've done in the past.  I
won't pay $400 for a help wanted ad in the Record, when I can get better
results for free elsewhere.   The result, the traditional media is
trying to maintain some control over it's content.

--
Glenn Cooke
Insurance Squared Inc.

Agent discussion forum: http://www.americaninsurancebroker.com