[kwlug-disc] Linux-Format Magazine

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Mar 5 10:17:41 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 21:52, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 08:23:04PM -0500, L.D. Paniak wrote:
>>
>> Maybe we should start an open Linux journal and pipe the KWLUG
>> discussion list into it.  Write a few scripts to format it nicely and tada!
>
> That's a pretty good idea, actually.  With some editing, it could be
> a fairly fascinating KWLUG Journal.

I don't want to rain on any parades, but isn't the concept of the
magazine essentially depreciated by the Internet? We no longer have to
gather all the material so we only go to press once per month, and
there is no scarcity needing us to grab a copy *now* to read *later*.
I'd say sites like slashdot are the "Modern" magazine replacement with
a split of news and articles. We already have a drupal site, why don't
we just put new, regular, interesting content on there? The only
benefit of having a "magazine" online would be lack of links required
for reading the article, making it easier to cache for portable
devices (I never understood why people paginated articles online
(well. ad impressions))

Reddit is probably a better example of what is possible as only
news/articles with merit (or cats, i suppose) get voted up.
Particularly if you only subscribe to categories that are interesting.
Digg would be the National inquirer with moustaches drawn on in pen.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>