[kwlug-disc] Mac OS and Linux

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Tue Jun 30 14:56:36 EDT 2009

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 06/30/2009 02:29:26 PM:
> From: Oksana Goertzen <ogoertzen at gmail.com>

> Mac:  -slick, good design/good support, well-tuned hardware (discrete
> graphics out of my reach price-wise), good range of apps for kids -
> it's what they get exposed to in school, "linux-like" OS and Linux in
> 13", take it into an Apple store for fixing, and my older son has an
> and loved Garage Band, shiny display, some buy-in to proprietary apps,
> equipment and "lifestyle", "expensive"

You could run Linux directly on the MacBook. People do it.
> P.S.  Anyone hacking AppleTV?

I have. If I had a MacBook I could have just created a patch-stick instead
of disassembling the case. It went back together fine and looks good, It's
just me that knows the rubber skin is now a little loose. There are great
online instructions on hacking them.

Now I need someone with a Mac to compile MythTV for me. The version of
MythFrontEnd that run on AppleTV don't get the remote commands. Apple
changed how the commands are received between firmware versions.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12
Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6