[kwlug-disc] Mac OS and Linux

Oksana Goertzen ogoertzen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:29:26 EDT 2009

Hello All,

I'm looking to replace my IBM Thinkpad and I'm really stuck between
buying a new Thinkpad or a Mac.  So for all those out there with Macs
- I'm assuming you're running Linux as well as Mac OS.  What are
you using for antivirus?  Does everything just work? -- what about that
multi-touch mouse pad?  Any caveats?  I'm really torn as to whether
to buy a:

(warning:  my personal opinion only)

Thinkpad: - customer replaceable parts i.e. battery, ram etc.,
good support/quality/design, good price, hardware (HDMI/display ports,
fingerprint reader, DDR3 ram, discrete graphics if I want it, 15",
would be a Linux-only install, send it away to get it fixed, available
with a non-shiny display

vs.

Mac:  -slick, good design/good support, well-tuned hardware (discrete
graphics out of my reach price-wise), good range of apps for kids -
it's what they get exposed to in school, "linux-like" OS and Linux in VM,
13", take it into an Apple store for fixing, and my older son has an iTouch
and loved Garage Band, shiny display, some buy-in to proprietary apps,
equipment and "lifestyle", "expensive"

Everyone I know seems to be either buying Mac these days or owns a
Mac for their performance, reliability, battery life and the
fun/style/it-just-works
factor(s).

P.S.  Anyone hacking AppleTV?

:)  Oksana