[kwlug-disc] thanks to all who replied -- the new netbook was purchased

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Mon Jun 29 14:16:27 EDT 2009

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 06/29/2009 01:53:19 PM:
> John, you're clearly well versed on this stuff so two questions:

Geez, answer a few posts and now I'm an expert ;)

> 1) where to buy  and what would you recommend for a netbook running
> linux?  i.e. if we were looking, is there a specific place around here
> to buy? (and I'm actually considering this).  FS doesn't seem to have
> linux models.

They are getting harder to find. I ordered my Acer Aspire One from a
distributor and got a true Linux version.

We've had the Lenovo S10s in and they look good, although they do not come
with Linux. I bought my Aspire before Lenovo had a netbook and we've been
giving away the S10s at sales events. When we do we ship a USB key with a
live distro of Linux.

> 2) can you connect your blackberry to a linux machine?  I'm getting push

> back from the spouse on this, it's her excuse why she has to have XP
> when I want linux loaded (don't want to deal with XP anymore).

You can connect your Blackberry to Linux. It will charge on Linux (it
didn't by default.) It's easy to mount it as a media device to transfer
songs, pictures, etc. Uploading video is easy, but it has to be transcoded
first. This can be harrowing until you find the right command-line. I
presume the Windows BB manager does the transcoding itself. It can be used
as a tethered modem giving a netbook Internet access wherever you can find
a suitable signal.

Barry (http://www.netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry) allows
over-the-wire synchronization with anything that OpenSync 0.3x supports,
that includes Evolution and Thunderbird as well as standard formats.

It doesn't do any of this over Bluetooth, nor will be provide any
over-the-air functionality.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO