[kwlug-disc] things to look for in a netbook

Eric Gerlach eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca
Fri Jun 26 10:53:38 EDT 2009

Keyboard.  Keyboard, keyboard, keyboard.

Seriously, whichever one you're looking at, try to find it in a Staples
or Future Shop first and get her to type on it for 5-10 minutes.

All in the internal specs in the world won't save you if you don't like
typing on it.

Secondarily (or perhaps primarily for someone who types less), trackpad
configuration.  Some have the buttons to the side (instead of below), or
even worse, built into the touchpad (hello Dell Mini 10).  Again, see if
you can try before you buy.

If she's happy with the keyboard and mouse, I think the rest of the
machine will just fall into place.

Cheers,

Eric