[kwlug-disc] web-based forms wizard

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 22 00:03:38 EDT 2009

Look at Drupal + the Webform module. It does most of what you said.

http://drupal.org/project/webform

If you want to ask the author questions, he is presenting at the Toronto DUG
this Tuesday at 6:30 pm.

See http://groups.drupal.org/toronto for details.

Say hi to Nate if you go.

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Daniel Allen <dada.da at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey you wise libre-software people,
>
> I'm looking for an open-source "forms wizard" such as the one found in Open
> Office.  Only, it has to run over the web.  Does anyone have suggestions?
>
> The existing project is in PHP, and we're using MySQL (v4) databases.
>
> The set of tasks it should accomplish are:
>
> 1) allow non-programmer users to generate web-forms which can save data to
> the database
> 2) allow non-programmer users to define portions of the database as "views"
> which may be displayed in a spreadsheet-like format (optionally editable).
>
> and:
>
> 3) validate input data according to preset criteria (eg., "account codes
> must match regex format" or "value must match an existing value in this
> other table")
>

> I've looked at OpenOffice BASE and it seemed way too complicated for
> non-programmer users.
>
> The competition in windows-land is fairly strong: a Microsoft web/server
> product called SharePoint will store web-visible tables (it calls "lists"),
> forms can be built in a windows-only gui program to save data to these
> lists, and if you download a "list", it will open in Excel for editing, and
> changes are propagated back to the online database. ...Of course it doesn't
> work properly with Mac Excel, and of course its supposed ODBC support is so
> weak that you can only use it with Microsoft SQL, but on windows... it looks
> really slick.
>
> Hopeful someone has run across open-source tools that might fit the bill.
>
> -Daniel

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com