[kwlug-disc] IPCop (and friends) vs hardware router
paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 17 23:36:05 EDT 2009
In one corner, I have a an IPCop box that I am getting increasingly
unhappy with. IPCop has been pretty solid for me and I have
appreciated a few of the add-ons, but I have been trying to block all
traffic on certain ports and it is not working.
In the other corner I have a Linksys WRT54GL router, onto which I
have the option of installing some open firmware. (I am so done with
proprietary black box firmware with bad logging. Sorry, D-Link.)
In the third corner I have the possibility of playing with pfSense or
Xorp or whatever the Next Big Thing is in putting a router on an x86
In the fourth corner I have me, whimpering and rocking back and forth
as I struggle to understand all of the options and get something
working so that Rogers quits threatening to shut down our internet
I don't want much more than what a home router offers. Maybe these
things are not offered by all home routers:
- I do want the ability to expand (e.g. with OpenVPN) in the future
- I do want good logging
- I do want to block traffic on some ports
- I do want to expose some ports on a server
- I want the protection against Internet attacks to be good
- I want something that is maintained and has updates
- I want both exposure to internals if I need twiddling, and a
reasonable GUI so that I (and my co-workers) don't have to twiddle
- I do NOT want wireless at this time (even though the Linksys has
- I want to get this working at a basic level without a lot of
- I want performance to be good enough so that my users don't
notice that something has changed
Maybe I am asking for pie in the sky. Maybe not. Which of the first
three corners should I focus on, and why?
In terms of the second corner, there appear to be a number of different
firmwares available. Which do I want to use?
In terms of the third corner, which of the many router distributions
should I consider and why?
I realize that this cry for help sounds a lot like "Which distribution
is the best?" because that is exactly what it is. However, telling me
what you have chosen and why will be probably be enlightening.
More information about the kwlug-disc_kwlug.org