[kwlug-disc] debian 5.0 (lenny) install goes faster by moving the mouse?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jun 5 16:04:17 EDT 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Adam Glauser wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   just did another test on this and, weirdly, even text mode now
> > configures packages during install excruciatingly slowly.  right now,
> > the install progress bar is at 71%, "Configuring ftp".  it's been
> > there for the last 45 seconds.  and now, i press ENTER a few times ...
> > zoom!  and i hold down the ENTER key, it just smokes along.  that's
> > just weird.  and thoroughly annoying.
>
> Sounds like the Debian installer requirements need to add "a
> paperweight" to the list :)

  actually, something just occurred to me.  yesterday, just to be
pedantic, when asked, i said, yes, yes, i have more DVDS and, one at a
time, fed each of the five DVDs into the drive, even though i didn't
appear to need anything off of anything but the first DVD.  today,
i just installed off the first DVD and ignored the rest entirely.

  could that be it?  what is it that's being done with those other 4
DVDs?  is the install process collecting information off of them that
would speed up the package configuration process?  i'm going to test
that a bit later.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday