[kwlug-disc] debian 5.0 (lenny) install goes faster by moving the mouse?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Jun 5 13:23:08 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:12:54PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   no hard drive activity.  i was fairly careful -- when a package was
> being configured and was taking more than just a few seconds, i'd
> verify that neither the HD nor the DVD drive were active.  the instant
> i moved the mouse, zoom, progress!  stop the mouse and, very quickly,
> back to a quiet state.
>
>   has no one ever seen this behaviour before?  it's a new one on me.

The only place I've seen this sort of behaviour is when I use Mozilla
on Debian (etch and lenny) with an X config using VESA drivers.
I click on a webpage link, and it doesn't load until I move the mouse.
I usually don't wait very long before moving the mouse, so I don't know
how long it would ultimately take, but it is a noticable hiccup.
It doesn't seem to affect any other app.

I haven't seen it during the install, but I used the text mode install
last time, as I recall.

- Chris