[kwlug-disc] vmware questions

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jul 31 13:59:05 EDT 2009

Running a vm against your original partition uses 'raw disk' access.
vs. vmware creating a huge file and using it as the vm's virtual disk.
For such a vm as the latter, the .vmx file that describes the
parameters of the vm contains lines such as 'scsi0.virtualDev =
"buslogic"'.

It can be done, google searching tells (told) me so. IIRC, such lines
as the above will have 'raw' in place of the 'buslogic' above.
vmware's forums also seem to be a good place for information and
questions.

Having had the same desires in the past as you lay out it's
sufficiently non-intuitive that I haven't yet actually done it myself
either. e.g. You need to know your disk's geometry.

FWIW, I've used vmware converter (in various incarnations) to, say,
make a final backup of a box into a vm before rededicating that box to
another purpose. e.g. laptops. If you're ultimately convinced that you
will no longer directly boot XP on your current box, this may be a
path for you. This will create the big virtual disk file - and gain
the advantage of using standard Linux tools to manage the file, vs.
managing an ntfs partition under Linux.