[kwlug-disc] (Home) External Storage?

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Jul 31 08:22:37 EDT 2009

If you want RAID 5, you can forget about a hacked router.  There is not
enough CPU there to do  the parity calcs.

I guess there are two options:
1) The (expensive) ready-to-go NAS boxes (Netgear ReadyNAS et al.)
For low power usage and less $$, there are the Atom home servers:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37196&vpn=PG.T170W.007&manufacture=Acer

These include the MS tax.

2) A Linux box running mdadm.  This can be found conveniently in FreeNAS
distro: http://www.freenas.org/

It even looks to support iSCSI.

As for hardware, any decent post-P4 CPU should have enough punch to do
RAID 5.  I worry that older motherboards are not as quick when it comes
to SATA.  I've seen this with Asus A8N-E to M2N-E to the current models.

I'd go this route with an Atom motherboard.  The only catch is finding
one with 4 SATA ports.