[kwlug-disc] Microsoft Patches Linux; Linus Responds | Linux Magazine

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Mon Jul 27 08:51:38 EDT 2009

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 07/27/2009 08:05:31 AM:
> From: Raul Suarez <rarsa at yahoo.com>
>
> Are there people really advocating not including the drivers provided?
>
> Even Richard Stallman has repeatedly said that the GPL is there so
> you cannot prevent anyone from using and expanding the code, even
> people you don't like so I think that Linus cheap shot at the "Free
> software" people was unnecessary and misleading.
>
> For those that think that there is a hidden purpose other than
> providing Hyper-v functionality, here is one possible one: Destroy
> the GPLed community by infighting but I guess the community has been
> trying to do that for a long time.
>
> I may be naive but I take this move at face value. There are good
> people at MS that just want their products to work well.

We have all grown to suspect MS of misdoings and there actions have
reinforced our suspicions. It has become such a common reaction that it's
easy to jump on MS for doing this. I initially did.

MS developed the drivers to promote it's HyperV platform and, from
reports, initially kept the code private until a kernel developer pushed
to have it released. At best it's MS getting used to the GPL, at worst it
MS trying to pull another fast one.

I'm still sceptical. It will take several more positive actions to show
that this was truly well-intended from the start. Let's see how MS
continues to integrate with open source. Hopefully it will continue until
we have a greater level of interoperability.

I for one will likely never use this kernel module. It's really for the MS
customers who continue to choose immature products (HyperV) over mature
ones (Xen, VMWare).

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO