[kwlug-disc] MS in your kernel?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jul 22 14:44:57 EDT 2009

L.D. Paniak wrote, On 07/21/2009 9:44 PM:
.
.
.
> Is this an opportunity for Linux?  Why buy Windows 7 when you can just
> do a physical-to-virtual transfer of your existing XP install an run it
> on Linux for free?  VMware has a lovely tool for such transfers:

That's usually not true, license wise, these days. MS OEM licenses,
such as those that come with hardware, are one-hardware only licenses.
You are not permitted to use it elsewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was language in there denying virtual
usage, or once physical you can't go virtual. Or something. Certainly
the move to virtual is a significant enough change, (virtual) hardware
wise, to give XP a small hissy fit.

So, unless you bought a full, retail, non-academic, version of XP,
you're probably violating the license agreement. That license would
permit you to run on any hardware at any time, but only one at a time.
I believe there is even language such that turning off one install,
turning on another, using it then turning it off, and repeating, is
also verboten. I wouldn't be surprised if virtual use of any sort is
prohibited, but I don't recall for sure.

The only 'cheap' (non-retail) way I can see this is if you bought a
piece of hardware, and immediately do the physical to virtual
conversion. Even then, I suspect there's language somewhere to
prohibit it.

Assuming, of course, you care about adhering to the license terms.