[kwlug-disc] Drupal bug?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jul 13 12:01:17 EDT 2009

> > Looking at the HTML source, I see this:
> >
> > <li><a href="barry/install.php">Install Barry from binary
> packages</a></li>
> >
> > <li><a href="barry/cvs.php">Compile Barry from tarball, CVS, or
> git</a></li>
> >
> > If you change that to
> >
> > <li><a href="/barry/install.php">Install Barry from binary
> packages</a></li>
> >
> > <li><a href="/barry/cvs.php">Compile Barry from tarball, CVS, or
> git</a></li>
> >
> > Making it an absolute URL, the issue goes away.
>
> We try to avoid absolute URLs since that limits portability of trees of
> information.

I hear what you are saying, on a private site, that is possible.

But once this stuff is indexed and linked all over the web, then moving it
around is not as easy and incur added work or end user confusion.

You can use Apache redirect rules to change things around if you want
in the future.

> Is that an old-fashioned file-based web server idea or do
> Drupal web masters still try to use relative URLs when possible?

Drupal use relative paths "foo/bar" for some time, until we found that
many browsers and search engines (including Google) get confused by
that and keep relating relative paths to other relative paths (they would
look for "baz" under "foo/bar/baz" and other nasty stuff).

So, we decided to prefix everything with a slash, and get it over with.
Worked well, and no more confused crawlers and browsers.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.