[kwlug-disc] Heuther parking and comments thread

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jul 8 22:36:14 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> >From my perspective it looks like the Heuther was reasonably
> successful as a meeting space. 35 people came out, is a testament to
> the topic and the speaker.

Nah. It is the new venue for sure.

> How did you feel about the space?

Overall: good. Quieter than The Working Centre for sure.

> Obviously we were pretty packed and

If I understood him correctly, John Kerr mentioned that they have a larger
room.
I think there were a couple of spare unused chairs, but the spare space to
put them
was not that available.

the room was either hot (if the door was closed) or noisy (if not).

At the end of the meeting the girl came in and adjusted the A/C, but it was
too late. I think we can do that earlier and get decent temperature.

> I am interested in feedback from those who biked or drove to the
> meeting. Did anybody get ticketed? Where did the good spots end up
> being for parking?

I drove.

The signs said "1 hour parking from 8 am to 6 pm" and no mention
on what happens after 6 pm, so I assumed it is fine to park there.

I parked across the street from the hotel and did not get ticketed.

Others I talked to parked by the Value Mart a couple of blocks south, where
there is ample parking. I would do that in good weather.

I was surprised that there were no ring-and-post parking for bikes
> outside the Heuther. I tied my steed to a lamppost, which may not have
> been that wise.
>
> Judging from the number of people on the patio post-meeting, I imagine
> that the Heuther was reasonably pleased with business. Can anybody
> confirm or deny this?

All in all, thanks to John Kerr for arranging this.

And thanks to John Van Ostrand for getting the projecter fast. Perhaps John
can bring it every time, or the TWC guys can do that.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.