[kwlug-disc] MythTV on LCD TV

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 13:42:36 EDT 2009

MythTV has both a zoom feature and a 'stretching' feature.

Most Standard Definition TV is broadcast in 4:3, which will show up as a
square, centred in the middle of the TV.  If the show happens to be
letterbox (16:9), Standard Definition TV still broadcasts the 4:3 image with
black borders on top and bottom, making the 16:9 look really small.

I generally use the zoom feature when watching a show that appears like
that.

Under the Edit Keys menu, select TV Playback under Contexts (left menu) and
then look for ToggleAspect and ToggleFill.

ToggleAspect switches between 4:3 - 14:6 - 16:9 and Off
ToggleFill cycles through zoom levels.

Be aware that when you change these while watching TV, they will remain in
whatever state you left them in when you change channel.  You'll need to
toggle them off, or exit back to the menu and re-start Watch TV.