[kwlug-disc] Arduino: hardware hacking project

Daniel Allen dada.da at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 15:32:15 EST 2009

The local Perl Mongers have been expanding our interests a bit lately;
we've had talks on Python and other interpreted languages, and in
March, we hope to get into a hardware hacking project.  Just 'cause.
I was wondering if anyone was interested in going in on an order on an
Arduino: (assembled, for $30 USD)

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=50&zenid=fd478b1e11b5e26e4354946fe164bac2

Shipping looks like it's a fairly flat-rate $35 for the order, and
there is a bulk discount of 10% if we buy 10.

I'm looking to work my way up to building something like this:
http://blog.russnelson.com/opensource/reusing-floppy-stepper-motors.html

...If you have a better source for Arduinos, or want to recommend in
favour of a different microcontroller system, we're all ears...
(though it's hard to argue against arduino; it's got open-source
linux/mac/windows developer environment, and this model comes with a
USB port for easy programming...)

Let me know if you want in on the order, I'll take paypal or cash when
you come to get your hardware from me. :)  (I'm guessing: pick-up at
the University; or if you want to come to the Mongers Meeting, it's
going to be a Tuesday evening in March).

-Daniel

ps- the Perl Mongers site is at http://kw.pm.org/ though we don't yet
have any info about the hardware hacking meeting up yet.