[kwlug-disc] Rogers Bandwith Limit - Consequences of exceeding?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jan 30 22:21:45 EST 2009

Thanks John. I remember some of your Zeke's comments on your moving
problems (with respect to provider). Seems to me I remember some other
moaning, something about age, and moving. But I discounted those.

To be clear in this thread ... I'm not looking to change providers.

Just the consequences of exceeding bandwidth.

I don't expect Rogers will completely cut me off under any bandwidth
circumstances. Some others circumstances, yes, but not bandwidth. No
doubt, however, should I exceed several months in a row I'll be
getting more Rogers nonsense about upgrading from Express. <sigh>

FWIW, I was told one story some time ago where Rogers had cut a
neighbour off (for a week? month? rest of billing period?) due to a
'virus' [that wasn't there.] Their 'servers' had detected ip scans
coming from her, starting at 0.0.0.0. The week prior to when she was
told. i.e. If she had a virus, it was long gone by the time they
reported it.

Did a little digging and aside from the best practice of not allowing
incoming X,  it's recommended to not allow outgoing X. Where X is the
private address space and a whole host of others. Basically, go
through the list and anything unused (or unreasonable, e.g. military),
deny both ways. http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/

No complaints were ever received thereafter. Whether she never got
another ip scanning virus, or she did and it wasn't noticed because it
didn't start at 0, I'll never know.